Boston Whalers work. That's the take you get from a walk through the factory and a test drive of the boats. Careful building techniques comply with the most-stringent marine standards.
Practically every nook or cranny in the hull is filled with structural foam to strengthen it and dampen sound. Double-clamped through-hull fittings mean you'll never know the 250 Outrage is unsinkable. But you will notice that ice, fish, food and drinks stay cool a little longer in its built-in lockers than in other boats, which is a side benefit of its foam-filled unsinkable construction. Fish lockers and coolers aren't just coated with foam, they are enveloped in it. In any boat used in sea conditions, electrical components are the first to fail, so Boston Whaler uses only tinned copper wire to resist corrosion in connections.
Whalers are sought out by boaters who want the toughest rigs and who don't mind paying the price for it. But our Outrage had a soft side too. Foldaway jump seats on either side of the console gave anglers a spot in the shade to rest and keep an eye on the lines. Comfy aft seats can flip away instantly, freeing up the deck for fighting fish, making the Outrage tough and comfortable.
Most telling though about Boston Whaler's commitment to careful design is the new hull that smoothes the ride by softening chines forward, giving the Outrage a cleaner sea entry and stronger ability to cleave waves instead of just beating them down.
Key Note: Every aspect of a Whaler is computer designed, virtually tested and proven in the field before it goes to the showroom floor.
• Northstar electronics are top shelf, and the factory-installed radar array is carefully aimed thanks to the molded hardtop platform.
• Foldaway jump seats port and starboard of the console give super-comfortable seating while trolling for fish or cruising with friends.
• The unsinkable boat isn't bulletproof, but the sturdy, stainless-steel hardware is tough enough to take any impact.
- Vital Stats
- Length Overall: 24'6"
- Beam: 9'
- Dry Weight: 5,050 lb. (no engines)
- Seating/Weight Capacity: 12/3,400 lb.
- Fuel Capacity: 174 gal.
- Maximum HP: 400
- MSRP (test boat w/ Twin Mercury Verado 200 hp.): $117,628
- NMMA Certified: Yes
- Test Drive
- Test Engine: Twin Mercury Verado 200 hp
- Test Prop: 19-inch Inertia
- Test Load: People (900 lb.); Fuel (103 gal.)
- Optimum Cruise Speed: 26 mph @ 4,000 rpm @ 14.5 gph
- Top Speed: 47.5 mph @ 6,000 rpm
- Time to Plane: 5.5 sec.
- Time to 30 MPH: 10.1 sec.