The GLS 215 bowrider shows Glastron's proprietary molding system (VEC) has reached a new level of sophistication.
Each 215 GLS is consistently molded with stringer systems built in, not glued on. Thanks to the unique molding system, even the "hidden" side of molded parts has a smooth, crisp finished look that we think shows a higher level of quality fit and finish. Because Glastron fastidiously controls at least 500 molding variables, each hull comes out of the mold beautifully and exactly like the one before.
Such accuracy in construction was readily visible and easy to feel as we piloted our test boat over the choppy waters of Tampa Bay. The 215's aggressive V-bottom cut the chop and cornered confidently as we cruised back over our wakes. Perhaps more telling of solid construction is the sturdy one-piece feel of the boat transmitting through the helm as we broke through staggering chop.
While some boatbuilders do well in building solid hulls, others do better in providing comfortable interiors and value prices. Glastron has combined all three into a boat that is richer looking than its price tag and more comfortable, we think, than most comparably priced boats. Just look at the walk-through boarding transom we found to make access so easy. The centerpiece of the cockpit, though, is the unique seating arrangement. It includes a hassocklike seating cube that could swing against the portside coaming to complete an L-lounge or swing inside to make a spacious sun pad.
Key Note: For a versatile cockpit arrangement, Glastron's new swing-away cockpit cushion quickly converts the aft seating from sun pad to luxury L-lounge.
• The adjustable SuspensionAire seats give a softer ride even in rough water.
• Fiberglass floors and snap-in carpet make boat cleaning easy after beaching up.
• The optional premium stereo includes two transom speakers, amp and subwoofer.
- Vital Stats
- Length Overall: 21'4"
- Beam: 8'5"
- Dry Weight: 3,300 lb.
- Seating/Weight Capacity: 10/1,475 lb.
- Fuel Capacity: 34 gal.
- Maximum HP: 320
- MSRP (test boat w/ Volvo Penta 5.0L GXi): $39,891
- NMMA Certified: Yes
- Test Drive
- Test Engine: Volvo Penta 5.0L GXi
- Test Prop: 21-inch, aluminum
- Test Load: People (235 lb.); Fuel (30 gal.)
- Top Speed: 45.7 mph @ 4,800 rpm
- Time to Plane: 3.7 sec.
- Time to 30 MPH: 6.9 sec.