One of the strongest trends in the 2009 sport-boat category is the emphasis on a place to hang out and drift or anchor. That's why we're seeing tricked-out transom lounges. But the MariStar 255 takes an opposite approach, quite literally. Boaters can choose to sit on the big sun pad and swim platform — but we anticipate the bow being as much of an attraction for congregating, because it is like no other.
MasterCraft popularized the pickle-fork bow several years back, and while others have recently followed that lead, they're still a couple steps behind the pioneer. The 255, the second-biggest model in the MariStar series at nearly 25-and-a-half feet, uses what is now called the "Superfly" bow. It incorporates body-hugging seats in the forward corners, long loungers and flip-up armrests on each side. A boarding ladder and anchor locker fill out the 255 as the ideal beach-up boat.
This MariStar also exhibits how MasterCraft has broadened its customer base in recent years to boaters living on or near bigger bodies of water, including coastal areas. The modified deep-V hull moves through rough water much more easily than traditional flat-bottomed ski boats, and the 90-gallon fuel tank is as much a safety feature as it is a long-distance enticement. The boat's size and depth allow for a head with vacu-flush toilet and a wet bar behind the driver. Buyers can opt for a refrigerator to further accessorize the 255 as a daylong entertainment station, which, by the way, still has first-class towing at its heart.
Key Note: The 255 is so deep and spacious for day cruising that it's easy to overlook its inherent hull qualities for towing sports.
• Gauges at the helm are set back in bulletlike pods to reduce glare and amplify the interior style.
• A step in the sun pad leads down to the swim platform and can also be used to sit before or after a pull.
• Backrest on the portside seat adjusts so the passenger can face forward or aft.
• Retractable armrest for bow passengers.
- Vital Stats
- Length Overall (w/ swim platform): 27'8"
- Beam: 8'6"
- Passenger Capacity: 18
- Fuel Capacity: 90 gal.
- Maximum HP: 450
- MSRP: $88,890
- NMMA Certified: Yes
- Test Drive
- Test Engine: MasterCraft LY6 (6.0L 400 hp)
- Top Speed: 42 mph
- Time to 30 MPH: 8.0 seconds
- Time to 36 MPH: 11.0 seconds