There are performance pontoons, and there are fishing pontoons. And the two rarely mix.
But there's no reason why you can't have a fast, fashionable pontoon that also offers a full range of fishing features. Proof of this is G3's 22-foot Sun Catcher FC with the LX3 package. This model benefits from the company's triple-log performance platform and from the expertise of its fish-boat division. The result is a boat that can get you to the fishing hole quickly and provide all the tools needed to stalk lunkers.
The LX3 platform rides on 23-by-25-inch U-shaped logs that are built from a thicker-than-average-gauge aluminum and double-plated nose cones. The logs are then foam-filled and fitted with lifting strakes. Cross members attach directly to the flat upper surfaces on the logs on 16-inch centers, and the underside is fitted with a full-length performance shield. This creates a frame that can handle up to 225 hp and speeds approaching 50 mph. Our test model came with a Yamaha F150 outboard that topped out in the mid-30s. At any speed, it's nice to know the boat is built tough.
It's also built to accommodate fishing. Two livewells and four highback swivel seats are situated bow and stern, with both upright and lockable rod storage. Tackle centers are built into the bow corners, a depth sounder is integrated into the dashboard, and the boat is prewired for a trolling motor.
The amidships lounge area is given equal weight to the fishing deck, resulting in a package that has great entertainment potential. A ski-tow bar is standard, and any engine option of 115 hp or more will provide enough towing muscle for skiers or tubers.
• The center log contains a large middeck storage locker that can accommodate fishing rods or water skis.
• A built-in 30-gallon fuel tank provides a 100-plus-mile range and is fed through a fuel/water separator.
• The heavy-duty welded motor pod provides the support and strength needed for a higher horsepower engine.
• The dash contains an integrated Sony entertainment system and two additional 12-volt power points.
- Test Drive
- Test Engine: Yamaha F150
- Test Prop: 15.25" X 14" stainless steel
- Test Load: People (450 LB.) Fuel (30 GAL.)
- Top Speed: 36.5 MPH @ 5,900 RPM
- Time to 30 MPH: 9.2 sec.
- Most Economical Cruise Speed: 20 MPH @ 3,300 RPM, 4.5 GPH
- Vital Stats
- Length Overall: 22'6"
- Beam: 8'6"
- Dry Weight: 2,740 LB.
- Seating/Weight Capacity: 14/2,800 LB.
- Fuel Capacity: 30 GAL.
- Max HP: 225
- MSRP: $37,995 (as tested)
- NMMA Certified: Yes