Built for a crowd and equally suited for entertaining at anchor or pulling a skier on a run, deck boats are among the most-versatile sport boats on the lake. But they haven't always been the most exciting, or stylish. With the new 228 DB, Rinker has introduced a cure for the common deck boat.
Rinker invited us to test the 228, and its sibling 268, only after two years of research and development — with much of the effort focused on style. They nailed the wide footprint early on, but because Rinker is so closely associated with contemporary sport boats, they took some extra time to develop an edgier deck and overall look so it met the high style marks we'd given to other Rinkers. The interior freeboard is as deep as the boats for which Rinker is known, but the appeal is comparable with the company's new MTX bowrider series, just without the picklefork design. Also noteworthy is the large rear swim deck, which provides additional seating/lounging capacity and easy dockside access. Order the available power anchor windlass and the premium sound system, and you'll have everything needed to host a floating party.
If you decide to make it a ski party, you've come to the right boat. Our test boat had the 300 hp Volvo powerplant with a DuoProp. This not only provided speeds of nearly 50 mph, but also solid acceleration and the ability to hold steady speeds in the often tricky 17 to 20 mph range where wakeboarders play.
Key Note: The DuoProp makes it easier to pick up tubers and wakeboarders, but you could save cash with a smaller motor and standard prop if water sports aren't a priority.
• A full-size head is hard to find on a boat this size.
• R-Package tower provides a high tow point, above-deck board storage and speaker mounts, plus the option of a training boom.
• High-efficiency LED cockpit lighting keeps things bright without draining the batteries.
• Wet bar features premium Corian surfaces with raised outer edges to keep items from rolling off.
- Vital Stats
- Length Overall: 22'8"
- Beam: 8'6"
- Dry Weight: 5,031 lb.
- Seating/Weight Capacity: 10/ 1,500 lb.
- Fuel Capacity: 59 gal.
- Maximum HP: 320
- MSRP (base boat w/Volvo 5.7 GI DP): $48,899
- NMMA Certified: Yes
- Test Drive
- Test Engine: Volvo 5.7 GI DP, 300 hp
- Test Prop: F7 DuoProp
- Test Load: People (350 lb.); Fuel (45 gal.)
- Top Speed: 49.2 mph @ 5,400 rpm
- Time to Plane: 3.8 sec
- Time to 30 MPH: 7.5 sec.
- Minimum Planing Speed: 15 mph @ 2,400 rpm