Stingray's Z-plane hull is the platform for this spacious, agile performer, and it's powered by a Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi with a Duoprop drive. Both power and hull work together to give a sporty ride and a luxury experience on the water.
Sport is exemplified in the snappy hole shot and accented by an impressive top speed. More than speed and acceleration, though, I liked the way it lifted up, smoothing the ride. I slowed down slightly and turned sharply while tucking the drive back in, and the 235DR came around smartly with no ventilation in all but the tightest turns. It behaved nicely at idle speeds, turning sweetly toward the dock and tracking easily without constant steering input.
At rest, I walked around the interior, pacing off its beam and length, noting how well traffic would flow with a normal crew of six or more — and how easy Stingray made it to board the boat. Aft, a broad swim platform meets a wide walk-through to the cockpit. Forward, the anchor locker hatch serves as a boarding step as well. For beach boarding, fold out the bow ladder, set forward of the twin fender compartment. To step down into the boat, Stingray has placed a cooler with a step pad for a lid.
Comfort abounds in the firmly cushioned seating. Forward, two full-length lounges gave room for my 6-foot frame to stretch. Twin bucket seats for captain and passenger give the best cockpit seating complement when matched with the aft L-shaped lounge, which also allows plenty of room for a handy transom walk-through. The passenger seat swivels and adjusts to allow room for accessing the changing room, which is equipped with a pump-out head. These are comfort values not often found in a boat with big performance.
• Swim platform has a radius that prevents striking it on the dock when pulling away.
• Bow anchor locker houses boarding ladder and compartment for two fenders.
• Kohler-like sink in starboard coaming is elegant, durable and useful.
• Silky-smooth throttle lever makes speed control effortless.
- Test Drive
- Test Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI
- Test Prop: F7 Duoprop
- Test Load: People (235 LB.) Fuel (20 GAL.)
- Top Speed: 58.8 MPH @ 4,990 RPM
- Time to Plane: 4 sec.
- Time to 30 mph: 5.2 sec.
- Most Economical Cruise Speed: 27.1 MPH @ 2,500 RPM, 5.6 GPH
- Vital Stats
- Length Overall: 23'11"
- Beam: 8'5"
- Dry Weight: 4,105 LB.
- Seating/Weight Capacity: 12/2,535 LB.
- Fuel Capacity: 57 GAL.
- Max HP: 300
- MSRP: $54,527
- NMMA Certified: Yes