I have a bertram 28 with all Raymarine Electronics and my depth sounder will not produce any reading. How should I troubleshoot it?
The depth sounder is always reading 3 dashes and the trans ducer is not a through hull. Also the fish finder will not read any thing.
1. Is there a transducer and sonar module installed? Many of todays electronics are compenent systems, and you just may need the add-ons (sorry if this is obvious, but I had to make sure)
2. Is it a transom or shoot-through or through-hull transducer? If transom, make sure it is mounted low enough--usually about an 1/8" below hull bottom and slightly angled forward.
3.If transom or through hull make sure that no bubble streams are interfering. That is, there should be NO strakes, through-hulls, seastrainers, etc in front of the 'ducer
4. If shoot-through: is your hull cored or solid glass? Shoot through doesnt work through cored hulls.
5. Check connections.
6. Use a multmeter set to ohms and check for continuity in the cable between display and transducer.
7. Check with Raymarine--what do they say?
Hope this helps