A bright, white Mercury Racing 450R outboard engine bolted to the 2785 Catalina Platinum’s transom powered this nearly 29-foot pontoon boat to 30 mph in just 5.6 seconds and topped it out at nearly 56 mph. At 3,000 rpm, the powerful outboard netted 2.4 mpg, making the range 216 miles from the 100-gallon tank.
It is built to perform too. Waveglider triple 27-inch pontoons are mated to the Avalon’s deck with heavy-duty, double-bolted hat-channel crossbeams. Together with the lifting strakes, an aluminum underdeck Wave Shield improves airflow and efficiency, and provides lift and performance. The deck, made of 3/4-inch PTP marine flooring, has a lifetime warranty and optional in-floor storage. A 3-inch-tall perimeter rub rail caps the deck, with a black rubber insert to cushion docking. All seat frames are aluminum, providing ample storage underneath and ventilation to minimize moisture. An aesthetic touch: The 2785 Catalina’s perimeter wall is smooth on the outside, with no ribbing or visible rails. It’s a sleek, modern look that also makes cleaning easier.
In the bow, twin facing loungers feature Matrix 50 Ultrafine Touch vinyl embossed with detail on the center cushions, a tri-tone color match, and a smooth surface on the outer skins. Twin facing lounges provide generous seating for six, while the pilot, co-pilot and aft crew sit behind protective windscreens, similar to fiberglass runabouts. The portside seating behind the consoles is a full-length lounge in an L configuration, with a power-sliding movable backrest that creates a huge aft-facing sun lounge when in the forward position. Full slate teak flooring gives a crisp appearance with easy cleanup. The Ensign 2 console features full instrumentation, with a Garmin 73cv graph and Fusion sound system including a six-channel amp and six Fusion XS lighted speakers. A Bimini top with a heavy-duty aluminum frame is standard, as are Deco built-in docking lights. Out back, an extended deck gives ample room to sit and prep for watersports. A 10-year bow-to-stern warranty and a lifetime hull and floor warranty provide peace of mind.
- Mercury Racing 450R outboard delivers exciting performance, and a selectable exhaust allows you to set the exhaust sound to either smooth and quiet or a growling, racy note.
- Aft seating with power-sliding adjustable backrest is well-executed and works smoothly in converting between a sofa and a giant sun lounge.
- Fusion stereo system with amplifier and subwoofer is easily heard, even while running this boat at higher speeds.
How We Tested
- Engine: Mercury Racing 450R FourStroke 450 hp
- Drive/Prop: Outboard/Mercury Enertia 16″ x 17″ 3-blade stainless steel
- Gear Ratio: 1.60:1 Fuel Load: 30 gal. Crew Weight: 250 lb.
Pricing and Specs
|Dry Weight:||3,400 lb.|
|Seat/Weight Capacity:||19/2,760 lb.|
|Fuel Capacity:||100 gal.|
Avalon Pontoon Boats – Alma, Michigan; 989-463-2112; avalonpontoons.com