A number of boats in the mid-20-foot range can accommodate overnight excursions — provided you don’t mind crawling into a cozy but confined cuddy cabin. Less common are boats such as Doral’s Venezia, which provide standing headroom and accommodations for a family of four in a compact, easily managed package.
The hull’s wide beam allows for a forward cabin with space for a circular dinette that converts to double berth, and a midcabin for the kids. The builders intend for a combination of natural and luminescent light to enhance the openness of the roomy cabin. Though compact, the galley and head are realistically proportioned for practical function.
Up top we found several distinct seating areas. Two or three passengers can join the skipper at the helm and adjacent lounge, while the wraparound rear seating provides a focal point for entertaining, with a wet bar and optional refrigerator. The sculpted hardtop can add additional appeal and protection to the cockpit, while a full-canvas package turns the entire area into an extension of the cabin.
Doral offers the Venezia with a wide array of gas and diesel engines in single and twin configurations ranging from 270 to 375 hp. Our test model was fitted with a midrange 300 hp Volvo, which provided a top speed of just over 40 mph. We didn’t get too hung up on the top-end numbers, because it’s more important to find an economical cruise speed to the spot where you plan to drop anchor.
Key Note: Twin engines are perhaps a stretch for a boat that delivers realistic cruise speeds on a single engine, though a diesel might be justified to cover longer distances.
• All utility connections are located on the transom corner to simplify hose and cord routing at dockside.
• Doral woodwork and trim is of the highest quality, with numerous accent details that create an upscale impression.
• Available options such as a genset and air conditioning provide the option of self-sufficiency at anchor.
* Length Overall (w/ swim platform): 29’0″
* Beam: 9’4
* Dry Weight: 7,900 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 75 gal.
* Maximum HP: 420
* MSRP (test boat w/Volvo 5.7 GXI DP): $109,555 US
* NMMA Certified: Yes
* Test Engine: Volvo 5.7 GXI DP 320 hp
* Test Prop: F4
* Test Load: People (400 lb.); Fuel (40 gal.)
* Top Speed: 42.4 mph @ 4,900 rpm
* Time to Plane: 8.7 sec.
* Time to 30 MPH: 17 sec.