No boat can do it all, but Hurricane’s new FunDeck GS 220 comes pretty close. Versatility has long been a key element of the deck-boat mission statement, and Hurricane remains an industry leader in fulfilling this mission by building boats that deliver a balanced blend of performance and creature comforts.
Our dockside inspection of the 220 confirmed that it is exactly the sort of boat you’d want for hanging out on the hook with friends or pulling kids on tubes or wakeboards. We found stowable fishing chairs fitted to the wide front deck. Remove them and replace it with bow filler cushions for laying out. Pop in the tow pylon for water sports. We liked that the seamless fiberglass liner and composite construction provide the durability needed for active use, be it snorkeling or fishing trips to the coast or day trips up the river. A few minutes with a hose and the addition of the removable cockpit carpet transforms the 220 into a dinner cruiser.
But this boat’s best qualities aren’t revealed until you start the engine. We found that the 250 four-stroke Yamaha not only delivered plenty of top end and good rough-water response, but also the type of midrange muscle needed for water sports. This was especially true in the 18 to 21 mph range, where we were able to keep the boat on plane and steady at the critical speeds wakeboarders want. Out back, the well-formed wakes were superior to those generated by most I/Os of similar size, and at higher speeds they also flattened nicely for skiers.
Key Note: Thanks to a combination of ample freeboard, rugged construction and solid running performance, the FunDeck GS 220 can handle big lakes and coastal venues.
• The hull’s wide footprint keeps it stable at rest, supporting the boat’s mission as a platform for entertaining.
• Seriously consider the optional fishing package, which includes casting chairs, trolling motor plug and livewell.
• Large fuel tank provides a usable range of 200-plus miles for all-day skiing fun.
* Length Overall: 22′
* Beam: 8’6″
* Dry Weight: 3,409 lb.
* Seating/Weight Capacity: 10/1,440 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 61 gal.
* Maximum HP: 250
* MSRP (test boat w/ Yamaha F250 BTXR): $50,280
* NMMA Certified: Yes
* Test Engine: Yamaha F250 BTXR
* Test Prop: 15.25 x 19
* Test Load: People (350 lb.); Fuel (30 gal.)
* Optimum Cruise Speed: 26 mph @ 3,500 rpm
* Top Speed: 49.7 mph @ 6,000 rpm
* Time to Plane: 3.8 sec.
* Time to 30 MPH: 7.4 sec.