At dockside, we skeptically eyeballed Sea Ray’s new 270 Sundancer express cruiser for distinguishing characteristics. It was a concept, not a singular feature that set it apart: versatility.
Boarding through the portside entryway made it obvious the 270 is built to entertain and impress. The cockpit is spacious, accentuated by a beam nudging 9 feet in width. Roaming around, we discovered luxurious extras normally found on larger Sundancers, such as a cockpit wet bar and the electrically actuated engine hatch. Adding to the entertainment appeal of our test boat was a curved, portside L-shaped lounger with interior storage. In the cockpit and the cabin, we found ourselves pulling handles, opening to storage compartments or features adding more livable space topside and below. A notable example is the aft seat that unfolds into a two-person transom platform, adjacent to the swim deck with its four steps. Below, a head and galley with full appliances and berths for four impressed us for a boat in this category. Day-trippers or overnighters are fully accommodated with all the comforts of home. Space and functionality are just part of the 270’s appeal.
We nudged the throttle and found the boat to be responsive, reaching speeds of nearly 40 mph with the MerCrusier 6.2 SeaCore 320 hp stern-drive. With smooth handling under full power, the boat felt bigger-than-life, an accurate summation for a boat that can cruise, cove out or pull tube riders.
Key Note: An express cruiser combining versatility and roominess for entertaining, overnighting, cruising and water-skiing.
• The galley’s single-burner stove, sink, refrigerator and microwave for big-boat feel add dining comforts.
• Stern platform aft seat is a plush, cushioned seat back that lays flat to create a spacious sun platform.
• Double helm seat pivots to face aft when the boat is at rest.
* Length Overall: 28’8″
* Beam: 8’10”
* Dry Weight: 8,211 lb.
* Seating/Weight Capacity: 10/1,667 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 84 gal.
* Maximum HP: 375
* MSRP (test boat): $119,875
* NMMA Certified: Yes
* Test Engine: MerCruiser MX6.2 MPI SeaCore B3 DTS
* Test Load: People (425 lb.); Fuel (30 gal.)
* Optimum Cruise Speed: 26 mph @ 3,500 rpm, 11.8 gph
* Top Speed: 38.5 mph @ 4,700 rpm
* Time to Plane: 7.7 sec.
* Time to 30 MPH: 8.5 sec.
Sea Ray Boats – Knoxville, Tennessee; searay.com