Powered by Yamaha’s new F225 Sport, this SL210 — the largest in Skeeter’s three-model Family Sport Series — literally bolted from idle when we buried the throttle, reaching plane in 2.7 seconds. At a top end of almost 63 mph, the boat handled solidly; at cruising speed, the wake flattened for family skiing. Then there’s idle speed, where all that power settled into a barely audible whisper.
We were told hydraulic steering is optional on this boat, though we couldn’t imagine equipping it with this horsepower without hydraulics. With hydraulics, hard turns port and starboard proved quite smooth with minimal centrifugal force.
Skeeter offers plenty of options to customize the boat. But the standard SL210 includes comfortable seating and all the fishing amenities the anglers in the family need, including trolling-motor wiring, fishing seats and two livewells.
The SL210 has space on the casting decks thanks to its near eight feet of beam. That also means it’s stable and roomy enough to accommodate six active passengers.
We liked the easy access to livewell and bilge pumps and wiring through a large hatch astern. Nonskid inlays on the transom bulkhead provide better footing for swimmers and skiers entering and leaving the water at the boarding ladder.
While its smaller siblings come standard with single-axle trailers, this 20-footer pairs with a tandem-axle trailer with disc brakes, retractable tie downs and a spare tire. Yamaha calls this short-shaft version of the F225 its Sport version, and with it the boat would be ready for tournament fishing one weekend and a family potpourri of sports and relaxation the next.
- Ski pylon and wide sun pad are features rarely found on a fishing boat of this quality.
- Electronics include a Lowrance X-50DS depth finder and a CD player with iPod adapter.
- Full windshield with walk-through gives a sport-boat look and protection from rain.
- The Yamaha 225 Sport motor uses a 20-inch shaft ideal for bass boats: Special cams and variable valve timing boost acceleration.
- Bucket-style seats for four people, plus a mini-bucket seat in the middle of the stern for a younger passenger.
At A Glance…
Boat and motor are for fast-paced water sports and casting a line. Serious anglers can still keep pace in most tournaments.
- Length Overall: 20’2″
- Beam: 7’10”
- Dry Weight: 1,650 lb.
- Weight Capacity: 1,550 lb.
- Fuel Capacity: 40 gal.
- Maximum HP: 225 n MSRP (w/ Yamaha F225 and trailer): $44,345
- Test Engine: Yamaha F225 (short shaft)
- Test Prop: 25 VMax
- Test Load: People (325 lb.); Fuel (20 gal.)
- Top Speed: 62.6 MPH @ 6,000 RPM
- Time to Plane: 2.7 sec.
- Time to 30 MPH: 6.4 sec.
- Minimum Planing Speed: 15.5 MPH @ 2,200 RPM