Voyager has been building pontoon boats for more than two decades, offering a broad spectrum of models — the value-oriented Supreme, high-performance Express and luxurious Super Series.
One feature all of the company’s models have in common is the use of U-shaped pontoons. U-shaped logs are 25 percent larger than cylindrical logs and do not require add-on mounting brackets for the deck members, as the deck grid mounts directly to the pontoons’ flat top. To further increase both strength and safety, Voyager adds water-impervious closed-cell foam to the interior of each log.
In years past, we’ve tested some of Voyager’s high-performance, three-log models that were fitted with lifting strakes and high-horsepower outboards. This year, the builder brought a Super 22 Cruise model that was more about cruising comfort than high-speed thrills.
Powered by an economical 90 hp Mercury four-stroke outboard, the boat topped out at 26 mph and provided a comfortable 16 to 18 mph cruise with the motor humming along in the low 4,000 rpm range. This might not seem impressive, but the performance numbers are more of a reflection of the engine than the boat itself, and we think this type of economy is coming back into vogue.
The Super Cruise can certainly be set up for higher speeds (add a third tube for the flotation necessary to carry a bigger motor) and loaded with an impressive array of options. But even in a milder guise, it still offers respectable performance and an ample helping of upscale comforts.
Key Note: In a world where 60 mph pontoons make headlines, this boat as rigged posts real-world speeds that allow casual conversation and real cruising.
• U-shaped logs are less affected by uneven loading or operation at close-to-rated capacity.
• Super Series features premium 34-ounce carpeting and premium upholstery as part of the standard package.
• Extensive options list includes everything from barbecue grills to a full hardtop with an upper sun deck.
* Length Overall: 22′
* Beam: 8’6″
* Dry Weight: 2,000 lb.
* Seating/Weight Capacity: 12/2,200 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 30 gal.
* Maximum HP: 115
* MSRP (test boat w/ Mercury 90 hp): $25,950
* NMMA Certified: in progress
* Test Engine: Mercury 90 hp, four-stroke
* Test Prop: 13-pitch, aluminum
* Test Load: People (350 lb.); Fuel (30 gal.)
* Top Speed: 26.1 mph @ 6,000 rpm
* Time to 20 MPH: 6.6 sec.