These challenging economic times are changing the way most of us spend our hard-earned money. Putting extravagance on credit has been exposed as too risky. Simplicity is coming back into vogue, and that plays right into the heart of the Suntanner 220 SE.
The 220 has been in the Weeres lineup for more than 10 years because it hits a modest price with everything a boater needs without piling up the options. The twin-tube model at our test-site dock was rigged with a 60-horse Yamaha four-stroke, which immediately told us that top-end speed was not the boat’s function. Our test wasn’t so much a run as it was a cruise, moving along at 15-18 mph while driving sidesaddle and chatting with passengers. Put $80 of gas in the 24-gallon tank, and it will last through a month’s worth of early evening rides, at least.
Wide traffic areas to the stern-entry gate and the open floor plan go along with the easy-does-it nature of the Suntanner. So do the wide steps on the swim ladder and the brawny stainless-steel frame that doubles as the ladder’s grab rail. From experience on such boats, we know this model will spend time at a beach across the lake, and at anchor. There will be family, friends, swimming and lunch. The whole concept of boating will go back to its roots, when we didn’t stretch to excesses and times were just plain simpler.
Key Note: The 60 hp setup is perfectly suited for casual boating, but buyers will want a 90 hp motor for towing tubes.
• Big sun lounge has a lid that opens the changing room — it includes a mirror as a standard item.
• Carry-on cooler stows under the lounge next to the portside gate, so it’s out of the way.
• Sony head unit has a removable face plate for the CD player to keep it water resistant.
* Length Overall: 22′
* Beam: 8′
* Dry Weight: 1,870 lb.
* Seating/Weight Capacity: 11/1,830 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 24 gal.
* Maximum HP: 100
* MSRP (w/ Yamaha 60 four-stroke): $26,360
* NMMA Certified: Yes
* Test Engine: Yamaha 60 hp four-stroke
* Test Prop: 11 pitch
* Test Load: People (385 lb.); Fuel (20 gal.)
* Top Speed: 19.6 mph @ 5,800 rpm