Building on its popular Wakesetter series, Malibu has introduced the 21 LX with a choice of two hulls: the Wake Plus (a longtime Malibu mainstay) and the Diamond hull, both designed to combine wake, surf and ski in one boat.
These new options take customization to a new level with the 21 LX by offering two entirely different hulls under the same hybrid deck. Choose the Wake Plus hull for multisport family performance, or select the Diamond hull for hardcore wakeboarders and wakesurfers.
Customizable for multiple sports, the most noticeable feature of the 21 LX is the hybrid bow, which draws on pickle-fork shaping to create an oversize forward seating area. In total, the 21 LX seats 12 without crowding.
Interior and Accessories
The Malibu Command Center, with its 12-inch touchscreen, gives the driver set-and-forget presets at the touch of the monitor, such as “Surf Left” or “Wakeboard Advanced.” These set the Power Wedge III for everything from mellow to steep wakes, and the Surf Gate’s vertical tabs allow changing surfing sides without shifting ballast. With three ballast tanks standard, optional bow and plug-and-play ballast tanks, plus the Power Wedge III, the total ballast comes to 3,485 pounds.
Overhead, the standard G5 tower holds not only board racks and speakers, but also a giant Bimini shade that you can open one-handed. An available extra-low TXi tower fits under 7-foot garage doors.
Inside, the 21 LX is pure luxe, with soft-grip flooring, wraparound lounges and fine upholstery. Many of the seat bottoms or backs hinge to reveal cavernous stowage, which can even handle extra boards in some cases.
Standard power for the 21 LX is the Malibu-built Monsoon M5Di, punching out 360 hp for a top speed of a hair over 40 mph. Or buyers can up the speed with the Monsoon M6Di at 430 hp.
Choose your hull, tailor it with options, and enjoy a customized watersports experience with Malibu’s 21 LX.
How We Tested
- Engine: Monsoon M5Di 360 hp
- Drive/Prop: V-drive/OJ 1919 15″ x 13″ 4-blade nibral
- Gear Ratio: 1.50:1 Fuel Load: 40 gal. Crew Weight: 450 lb.
- Choice of two hull shapes to suit either multisport family boaters or hardcore wake and surf enthusiasts.
- Malibu Command Center touchscreen offers one-touch control of wake adjustments for surfing, boarding or skiing.
- Balanced tower allows one-handed lowering for bridges, trailering or any low-clearance requirement.
- Includes ample cup holders, but has a shortage of handholds for a boat rated for 12 people. More handgrips would be appreciated, especially around the aft cockpit.
It’s no secret that Malibu also builds the Axis A22 ($93,869 with a 360 hp Monsoon M5Di), 5 inches longer with a pickle-fork bow and similar power choices. However, the tower, Surf Gate, etc., are optional to keep the price low.
Pricing and Specs
|Price:||$103,545 (with Monsoon M5Di)|
|Displacement (approx.):||4,580 lb.|
|Bridge Clearance (tower down):||3’11.5″ (ski tower); 4’11” (G5 tower)|
|Fuel Capacity:||50 gal.|
|Available Power:||Single V-drive inboard to 430 hp|
Speed, Efficiency, Operation
Malibu Boats – Loudon, Tennessee; 865-458-5478; malibuboats.com