Following on the success of its 276 Bowrider, Rinker has added a cuddy cabin version to this lean-running hull. The result is a boat that combines athletic performance with passenger-pampering practicality.
The focal point of this model remains the large cockpit, while the well-appointed forward cabin provides escape from the sun and the capability to overnight if the mood strikes. The sleek closed bow is complemented by the aerodynamically sculpted radar arch, which provides mounting points for a Bimini or a full canvas enclosure. With the canvas in place, the 276 CC becomes a three-season cruising vessel.
In fair weather, this boat is also well suited to watersports. A central walkway leads to a large integrated swim platform, while the arch includes a tow point for watersports and tubing. The 350 MerCruiser on our test boat brought this big boat up on plane in five seconds and easily topped 40 mph — plenty of power and acceleration. Speedsters can upgrade to a 425 hp big block, but we’d save some cash on the motor and gas and stick with the midrange power option.
Even without the big block, the 276 exhibited handling characteristics reminiscent of a performance boat. For example, trim tabs can be used not only to adjust side-to-side balance, but also to create the sort of “drive up, bow down” running attitude reminiscent of larger sport boats, which ride over chop using their entire waterline instead of banging along in a bow-up position. Get into bigger water, and you’ll really begin to appreciate this capability.
Key Note: Though the ride edges toward sport-boat territory, the 276’s central cockpit ensures this boat’s popularity as a versatile, crew-pleasing recreational platform.
• Voluminous storage lockers on either side of the engine will swallow a mound of gear.
• Rear-facing seats on the transom turn the swim platform into an additional social area.
• Excellent helm ergonomics, with well-placed throttle and good forward visibility.
* Length Overall: 28’11”
* Beam: 9′
* Dry Weight: 5,670 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 75 gal.
* Maximum HP: 425
* MSRP (base boat w/ MerCruiser 350 Mag MPI): $65,648
* NMMA Certified: Yes
* Test Engine: MerCruiser 350 Mag MPI
* Test Prop: 22-pitch Bravo 3
* Test Load: People (450 lb.); Fuel (40 gal.)
* Top Speed: 43.5 mph @ 5,400 rpm
* Time to Plane: 4.8
* Time to 30 MPH: 9 sec.
* Minimum planing speed: 17.8 mph @ 3,000 rpm