If you’ve ever ridden the Batman roller coaster at Six Flags, then you have the feel for the acceleration a 510 Rotax jet-drive horsepower provides to Sea-Doo’s new 230 Wake. Zero to 30 mph in five seconds slaps you back in the captain’s bucket seat and holds you there like shrink-wrap.
At top speed, the 230 hits speeds greater than 52 mph. Slow down a little before you throw the helm hard to port or starboard. Those reclining on the comfortable bow lounges might just want to strap on their sunglasses at that speed — and especially before you put the Wake in a skier-recovery turn. At reasonable speeds in the 40s, the 230 cut a tight little circle ideal for retrieving downed skiers.
But Sea-Doo’s recreational sleuths know that even with all that power, relaxation on the water is what much of boating is about, so they tricked out the boat with a broad array of comforts. The aft lounge wraps around from stern to portside, ending in an aft-reclining lounge at the portside windshield bulkhead. The Wake’s sun pad is spacious, but what really made the boat livable was the dry storage under it.
But what’s up with that wakeboard tower and ballast system? Attaching the ski rope higher makes it easier on the rider. And with a ballast tank for creating fun wakes, we think this boat will be ideal for all but the competitive wakeboard rider — assuming he can get the rest of the family over that sunbathing fetish.
Key Note: Concealed jet drives reduce the risk of grounding in shallow waters while giving snappy acceleration and maneuverability.
• Electric roll-down windshield opens the cockpit letting the wind blow through.
• Stark-white gelcoat with cherry-red and jet-black graphics offers dramatic styling accents.
• Stainless-steel cleats, rub rail, ladder and other hardware finish the upscale look.
* Length Overall: 23’6″
* Beam: 8’9″
* Dry Weight: 3,775 lb.
* Seating Capacity: 12
* Fuel Capacity: 53 gal.
* Maximum HP: 510
* MSRP (test boat w/ 510 hp): $55,999
* Test Engine: Twin Rotax 255 hp
* Test Prop: Jet drive
* Test Load: People (235 lb.); Fuel (25 gal.)
* Minimum Planing Speed: 21.7 mph @ 4,500 rpm
* Top Speed: 52.2 mph @ 7,500 rpm
* Time to Plane: 3.5 sec.
* Time to 30 MPH: 5.5 sec.