We’ve tested Majestic models from Starcraft through the years, but nobody on our team recognized the 256 RECR at the dock. It is so fresh, inside and out, that even the logo underwent a makeover.
Start at the helm station, where Starcraft took a cue from the sport-yacht builders and raised the entire area (console and driver’s seat) five inches. With passengers in the bow, we could still see clearly over everyone’s heads. In addition, the instrument panel has been streamlined, so the tach and speedometer (which surround a standard Humminbird 383 GPS) are easier to pick up on the fly.
One of the more-prominent additions is a galley behind the driver. The designers did several smart things here: One, the counter top is long enough that the sink does not impede on the usable space; two, the whole unit is shaped to allow foot traffic to and from the rear-entry gate; and three, a rail the length of the counter will keep items from rolling onto the floor when the boat jumps from a starting position — and it will.
The Mercury OptiMax 175 on our two-tube test boat countered a long-held belief that you have to buy a third tube for any semblance of performance. A top speed of 35-36 mph wasn’t unusually fast, but the 4.2 seconds to 20 mph was a surprise. More to the point are the low sound levels. They bring us back to the reality that the new Majestic is still a leisure ride at heart.
Key Note: Buyers who want more high-end performance can opt up for three tubes and a package that includes lifting strakes.
• Hydraulic steering and a ski tow are standard, giving the boat another reason to use it.
• Stainless-steel safety rail follows the contours of the bow, complementing the new solid-colored side panels.
• Privacy room under the sun pad is huge — big enough for two adults to change, or for kids to hide out with their toys.
* Length: 25’3″
* Beam: 8’6″
* Dry Weight: 2,600 lb.
* Passenger/Weight Capacity: 14/2,540 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 35 gal.
* Maximum HP: 200
* MSRP (w/ Mercury 175 OptiMax): $39,453
* Test Engine: Mercury 175 OptiMax
* Test Prop: 14 x 17, stainless steel
* Test Load: People (190 lb.), Fuel (17 gal.)
* Top Speed: 35.3 mph @ 5,100 rpm
* Time to 20 mph: 4.2 sec.
* Time to 30 mph: 7.5 sec.