After this test ride, I eased the Stingray 225 CR up to the dock and penciled my notes: snappy acceleration, crisp cornering and face-chapping top speed … followed by … no surprises here. Stingray is known for performance and its remarkable ability to bring all the comforts into their boats at a value price.
Then Al Fink, founder of Stingray, strode up and asked how I liked it, and if I’d seen everything. Before I could cap my pen, he said, “Turn the bilge blower on.” I could barely hear it hum, and he lifted the engine hatch to show me the rubber dampeners used to isolate the fan’s vibration from the boat. Fink also pointed out the 2-inch fuel fill line that eliminates fuel blowback at the pump. This fuel fill can take fuel as fast as an 18-wheeler.
I noted the handy sink and cabinet on the portside of the tall, roomy cuddy. The cabinet door clicked shut on stainless hinges. “We have to change that latch,” said Fink. “It’s not quite right.” I pulled the latch again. Geez, there might have been 1/16th of an inch of play in it — but Fink’s team thought a faint rattle was something they couldn’t overlook.
Details stood out like generous lighting in the cuddy from a large overhead hatch and two port lights. A starboard cuddy lounge converts to fill the cuddy with a double-size sleeping berth, and topside, the center sun-pad cushion pulls out to reveal a boarding walkway.
Our test shows comfort, performance and attention to detail are carefully crafted into the 225 CR.
Key Note: The Z-Plane hull patented by Stingray provides more performance return per horsepower than all but the edgiest “go-fast” rigs.
• A head (plumbed or portable, you choose) in the cuddy provides all-day boating versatility.
• Extremely high gunwales give plenty of depth in the cockpit for keeping little boaters inboard.
• Nonskid finish on bow and oversize swim platform give secure footing at anchor.
* Length Overall: 22’11”
* Beam: 8’4″
* Dry Weight: 3,539 lb.
* Seating/Weight Capacity: 10/2,080 lb.
* Fuel Capacity: 57 gal.
* Maximum HP: 320
* MSRP (test boat w/ Volvo Penta 5.0 L GXi): $41,216
* NMMA Certified: Yes
* Test Engine: Volvo Penta 5.0 Gxi MPI w/ SX Drive
* Test Prop: 21-inch Lazer SS
* Test Load: People (235 lb.); Fuel (8 gal.)
* Optimum Cruise Speed: 30 mph @ 3,000 rpm @ 6.8 gph
* Top Speed: 57.5 mph @ 5,150 rpm
* Time to Plane: 3.6 sec.
* Time to 30 MPH: 9.2 sec.