- Catch the free CARTA trolleys by waiting at one of the many well-marked boarding spots along Main Street. Trolleys even run several miles to the famed Chattanooga Choo-Choo Hotel.
- Stow a couple of bikes (or a pair of walking shoes) and enjoy the six miles of riverside trails out of Ross's Landing.
- Catch a water taxi, or walk across the pedestrian bridge, to Greenlife Grocery to stock up on fresh and organic foods.
- When planning to lock through, call ahead for an advisement on commercial traffic, and allow about an hour for the whole process. (The day before, there'd been 17 boats in the Nickajack chamber when Jimmy Porter approached, and it took 90 minutes to reach the Chattanooga side.) Nickajack contact: 423-942-3985, radio channel 16. Chickamauga contact: 423-875-6230, radio channel 16. (Both will ask you to switch over to 14.)
- Arrange docking downtown by calling MarineMax at 423-266-1316, radio channel 16.