- 33 CFR 175 Subpart B – Personal Flotation Devices
- 175.11 Applicability.
- 175.13 Definitions.
- 175.15 Personal Floatation Devices Required.
- 175.17 Exemptions.
- 175.19 Stowage.
- 175.21 Condition; size and fit; approval marking.
- 175.23 Serviceable Condition
- 175.25 Enforcement of State requirements for children to wear personal flotation devices.
One Type IV U.S. Coast Guard-approved PFD must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer (except canoes and kayaks) and readily accessible, in addition to the above requirement.
All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible.
Under California law, every child under 13 years of age on a moving recreational vessel of any length must wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket in serviceable condition and of a type and size appropriate for the conditions and the activity. The law does not apply to children under 13 years of age who are: