The Supra SA has earned a solid reputation in the watersports world as the official tow boat of the Pro Wakeboard Tour and Pro Wakesurf Tour for the past five years. With updates both below the water and above in 2020, the 22-foot SA 550 stands out as one of the best all-around wakeboats in its class.
Two big advances take a prominent spot at the helm: Large touchscreen displays provide the captain with menus that are both easy to navigate and see, and a third screen sits next to the glove box, allowing passengers to control the SA 550’s audio and lighting functions.
Interior and Accessories
Setting the SA up for rider benefit proves easy thanks to Supra’s patented Auto-wake system and preprogrammed rider profiles. Use the steering-wheel controls for on-the-fly adjustment. Autowake utilizes onboard sensors to control not only the boat’s pitch and roll, but also the shape of the wake and wave. New for 2020 is an auto-leveling feature. Made for cruising, Autowake will utilize the surf tabs at the transom to keep the boat level, no matter where passengers decide to sit.
Comfort and storage abound aboard the SA, thanks in large part to the subfloor ballast that holds up to 3,500 pounds of water. While most other brands offer plug-and-play ballast as an add-on, Supra forgoes that option, claiming it isn’t needed. Truth be told, it isn’t, which means more room for boards, gear and all your friends. The cushy interior stays cool, even under the hot sun, thanks to Chill Tech Vinyl, and a flip-up back on the portside lounge combined with the convertible rear bench allows for numerous seating arrangements. Mounted to the power-folding tower is an oversize Bimini top that not only provides tons of shade and protection to the interior, but also hosts surfboard racks above.
The stars of the SA are the world-class wakes and waves. When combined with all the tech and comfort, the SA is a boat that can cater to everybody, from top-level pros to newcomers.
How We Tested
- Engine: 575 hp Roushcharged Indmar Raptor
- Drive/Prop: V-drive/ACME 15″ x 14.25″ 4-blade
- Gear Ratio: 1.76:1 Fuel Load: 47 gal. Crew Weight: 360 lb.
- Storage locker at the transom is ideal for multiple wakesurf boards, as well as wet gear.
- Multiple cameras (one in the tower and one at the transom) give the captain an extra set of eyes while pulling a rider or when kids swim around the swim step.
- Lock your GoPro into the provided mounts, and it can be fully controlled via the touchscreen at the helm.
- Flip-up sun-deck backrests can pinch fingers if pulled on incorrectly.
The Nautique G23 is another world-class wake-making tow boat from top to bottom, but its starting suggested retail price is higher at $166,053.
Pricing and Specs
|Fuel Capacity:||63 gal.|
Speed, Efficiency, Operation
Supra Boats – Maryville, Tennessee; 865-983-9924; supraboats.com