SEVERNA PARK, MD-Manufacturers scored big at the 2020 National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) Business Meeting held on September 26, following the NMEA Virtual Education Week held last week. A total of 19 products received the top award, and the NMEA Manufacturer of the Year was named.
“On behalf of the NMEA Board of Directors, staff, and membership, we congratulate all 2020 award winners,” said Mark Reedenauer, NMEA President & Executive Director. “The member voting count exceeded our expectations. This certainly sends the message to the market that manufacturers have focused on producing top quality products for the boating public, even during a pandemic. NMEA members, installers, and manufacturers have surely kept their eye on the ball.”
The 2020 Product of Excellence Awards nominees were extensively vetted by staff and committee. The awards bring global recognition and extensive media coverage for NMEA manufacturer members. The 2020 NMEA Product of Excellence Awards included one new category: Marine Specialty.
2020 Product of Excellence Awards
NMEA members selected the winners of the annual Product of Excellence Awards through an online voting process. Awards were given in 17 categories. Here are the 2020 recipients.
- Marine VHF-ICOM M605
- Radar-Furuno DRS4DNXT Solid-State Doppler
- Satellite Communications Antenna-KVH TracPhone V3-HTS
- Multi-Function Display-Garmin GPSMAP 8616xsv
- Multimedia Entertainment-Fusion Apollo RA770
- NMEA 2000 Sensor-Furuno SCX20 High Precision Satellite Compass
- Autopilot-Garmin Reactor 40 with SmartPump v2
- Satellite TV Antenna-KVH TracVision UHD7
- Fishfinder-Furuno DFF3D Multi-Beam 3D
- Marine Camera-FLIR M364C
- AIS-Vesper XB8000 smartAIS
- Marine PC Software-Nobeltec TZ Professional V 4.1
- Remote Monitoring-GOST Apparition SM GPS XVR
- Wi-Fi/Cellular Device-KVH TracPhone LTE-1 (tie)Wi-Fi/Cellular Device-Wave Wi-Fi Tidal Wave AC + Cellular (tie)
- Marine Apps-Utility-Garmin ActiveCaptain
- Commercial-Furuno FAR2228BB 25kW IMO Radar
- Marine Specialty-Maretron N2KBuilder – NMEA2000® Network Design Software (tie)
- Marine Specialty-Furuno “Deep Impact” DI-FFAMP High-Power CHIRP Amplifier (tie)
Manufacturer of the Year Award
NMEA members also voted on a particular manufacturer who had demonstrated superior support of their products to all who install and service them in the field. NMEA and the membership congratulate Garmin on winning this award.
NMEA normally awards a Best New Product Award and an NMEA Technology Award based on in-person judging at the Annual NMEA Conference and Expo. “Because of the pandemic these awards could not be awarded this year,” said Reedenauer. “NMEA plans to reinstate these awards in 2021 when the NMEA Conference and Expo is scheduled to be held as a live, in-person event in Anaheim, California.”
The NMEA Awards are coordinated by a committee consisting of: Brian Kane, Chief Technology Officer, GOST; Todd Tally, General Manager, Atlantic Marine Electronics; Chris Labozza, Executive Vice President, Precision Marine Center; Paul Comyns, Vice President of Global Marketing, Intellian; Bruce Cole, Manager and Advertising Director, Marine Electronics Journal; and Mark Reedenauer, President and Executive Director of the NMEA.
NMEA congratulates all 2020 winners and looks forward to an expanded awards program in 2021 when the NMEA Conference and Expo is scheduled to be held as a live, in-person event in Anaheim, California. For details, watch www.nmea.org
About the NMEA
Founded in 1957, the NMEA has led the way in establishing technical standards for data exchange in marine electronics, with the widely accepted NMEA 0183 data protocol, NMEA 2000® and certification standards for marine electronics technicians. NMEA standards and programs focus on ensuring that the boating consumer is provided with reliable products and professional service. For more information, visit the NMEA website at www.NMEA.org or call (410) 975-9425.