Extending Your VHF Operating Time
* Charge your radio's battery before leaving port.
* Keep an extra charged battery on board, or an alkaline battery holder made for your radio and a supply of fresh AA alkaline batteries, so you can quickly replace your radio's battery should it go dead.
* Carry a 12-volt DC cigarette-lighter charger to recharge your radio's battery if needed when away from port.
* Develop the habit of transmitting on low power (1 watt) for your short-range communications to reduce battery drain and extend your operating time.
* When listening, reduce your volume control to a level where you can comfortably hear transmissions from others. Excessive volume can drain your radio's battery.